If I have a company that doesn’t have authority and is transporting exempt commodities (like wheat), am I required to have insurance on file with FMCSA?

Carriers who transport exempt commodities under part 387, subpart A are still required to maintain proof of financial responsibility on a designated form, the MCS-90, under 387.7(d), but the form is not required to be filed with FMCSA. Pursuant to 387.9, a for-hire property carrier is required to maintain a minimum level of $750,000. The only other reason you could be exempt from the minimum financial responsibility requirement is if you are not operating Commercial Motor Vehicles (i.e., your vehicles are less than 10,001 lbs.). Otherwise, you should have the appropriate documentation of financial responsibility.